Pharmaceutical companies spend billions of dollars marketing drugs to doctors…
This feature on Last week Tonight takes a witty but thought provoking look at the pharmaceutical industry.
Here are some of the concerning highlights of the this video:
- 70% of Americans take at least one prescription drug
- 50% take at least two
- more than 4 billion prescriptions were written in 2011
- 330 billion dollars were spent on prescriptions in 2013 ($1000 dollars per person in the US)
- Make sure you watch 3:04 to 4:18 Your blood pressure will go up
- Doctors are asking pharmaceutical reps how to treat patients.
- Pharmaceutical reps are undereducated and many have no medical background at all.
- Pharma companies keep very detailed statistics about doctor prescription patterns and use them to influence doctor clinical decision making.
- Drug reps ask doctors to prescribe medications for non approved use.
- Doctors are payed to speak as “experts” for different drugs, but the doctors being paid are simply using scripts provided by the pharmaceutical company. (Summarised by Dr Peter Osborne)